Pedestrian crossing accidents are a growing concern for many people across Northern Ireland. People risk their lives every day by crossing roadways without exercising any caution. The seriousness of these types of accidents makes it a critical issue that we want to explore.
Why are pedestrian crossing accidents so dangerous?
The main reason pedestrian crossing accidents are so dangerous is that pedestrians are the most vulnerable road user. In contrast with drivers and passengers who are shielded by their cars in the case of an accident, pedestrians have no such physical protection. This means that even a minor collision can potentially cause catastrophic harm.
At Paschal O’Hare Personal Injury Solicitors, we understand the seriousness of pedestrian crossing accidents claims in Northern Ireland. That’s why we’re committed to helping injured people receive the compensation they deserve. Our team of solicitors has a wealth of knowledge and understands the laws surrounding pedestrian accident claims and we’re dedicated to ensuring that they receive the support they need.
Common types of pedestrian crossing accidents in Northern Ireland
Pedestrian crossing accidents in Northern Ireland frequently occur at intersections, zebra crossings, pelican crossings, puffin crossings as well as toucan crossings. These accidents are usually caused by negligent or distracted drivers not paying attention to the road. The most common types of pedestrian accidents include:
- Pedestrian-car accidents – These occur when a car collides with a pedestrian, typically at high speed.
- Distracted driving accidents – These happen when an inattentive driver strikes a pedestrian.
- Hit-and-run accidents – These occur when a motorist strikes a pedestrian and flees the scene.
- Back-over accidents – These happen when a driver is backing up and hits a pedestrian. These types of accidents typically occur in a driveway or parking lot.
- Right-of-way accidents – These happen when a driver disregards a pedestrian who is attempting to cross the street.
Common pedestrian crossing accident injuries in Northern Ireland
There are many different injuries that could result from a pedestrian crossing accident. Over the past 50 years we have assisted many clients who have suffered:
- Soft tissue injuries like whiplash.
- Bone fractures that impact legs, arms, as well as ribs.
- Internal injuries such as internal bleeding or organ damage caused by blunt force trauma.
- Spinal injuries that could lead to permanent paralysis or chronic pain.
- Head injuries ranging from concussions to severe brain injuries.
It’s very important to seek medical attention after a pedestrian crossing accident. Even if you don’t think you’ve been injured, symptoms could take weeks to develop and could have long term consequences if left untreated.
How to stay safe when crossing the road
You can take a number of precautions to lessen your chance of getting hurt in a pedestrian crossing accident. First and foremost, you must obey traffic signals and only cross the street when it is safe to do so. Before crossing the street, make eye contact with cars to make sure they will see you and stop.
Additionally, especially when crossing the road at night, you can boost your visibility by dressing in bright, reflective clothing.
You should refrain from using your phone or other electronic devices when crossing the street because they may divert your attention from the nearby vehicles.
Last but not least, it’s critical to educate both yourself and others on road safety, particularly kids and teenagers.
How we can help if you’ve been involved in a pedestrian crossing accident
It’s important to get legal assistance as quickly as you can if you or a loved one has been injured in a pedestrian crossing accident. Having a personal injury solicitor fight in your corner is extremely important as they’ll be able to provide you with legal options, navigate you through the claims process, and ensure that you get the medical care and financial support you need to recover fully.
At Paschal O’Hare Personal Injury Solicitors, we are dedicated to assisting our clients from start to finish. We’re the best rated personal injury firm in Northern Ireland on Trustpilot and we are determined to live up to the highest standards. If you’ve been injured in a pedestrian crossing accident, speak with our solicitors and we’ll be able to guide you through the whole claims process.