The legal procedure of making a whiplash claim in Northern Ireland can be confusing. Most people have a lot of questions and don’t know where to start.
Our solicitors have over 50 years of experience helping people in Belfast and across Northern Ireland make whiplash injury claims. We pooled together our combined experience to produce this practical guide to whiplash claims that we hope you’ll find useful.
What is whiplash?
Whiplash injuries occur as a result of a rapid back-and-forth movement of the neck. They often happen in car accidents. They can also happen after a slip and fall accidents.
What are some common symptoms of whiplash?
The rapid movement of a neck backwards and forwards can be painful and result in a number of common symptoms, including:
- Neck pain and stiffness
- Muscle spasms
- Tenderness in shoulders and upper back
It is very common to start feeling some pain a few days after your accident.
How does an average whiplash claim work?
Here’s what you need to know about making an average whiplash claim:
- Firstly, if the injury wasn’t your fault and occurred within the past 3 years, you can contact a personal injury solicitor to receive legal advice about making a whiplash claim.
- Secondly, your solicitor then gathers evidence like CCTV footage related to your accident and assesses your injuries by gathering medical evidence.
- Thirdly, once your injuries are assessed, your solicitors will establish the level of compensation you could receive.
- Fourthly, negotiations take place with an insurer to reach a reasonable settlement. Occasionally, the case may go to trial if liability is denied by the defendant.
- Finally, you receive the compensation for your injuries.
Our solicitors are happy to answer any questions that you might have about whiplash injury claims. Please feel free to reach out by completing our online form or by visiting our whiplash injury solicitors in Belfast, Glengormley, and Carrickfergus.
How much whiplash compensation can I claim for in Northern Ireland?
The level of compensation you receive for your whiplash injury in Northern Ireland can range from £0 to £60,000. This depends entirely on the severity of the injury.
Minor whiplash injuries | Up to £12,500
Symptoms can be moderate and recovery takes place within 2 years.
Moderate whiplash injuries | £12,500 to £30,000
Modern injuries are associated with a fairly protracted period of recovery.
Severe whiplash injuries | £30,000 to £60,000
Severe whiplash injuries result in serious limitation of movement, permanent recurring pain, as well as could require further surgery.
More information about whiplash compensation and can be found on our website as well as in the Green Book.
Who are the best whiplash claims solicitors in Belfast and Northern Ireland?
Paschal O’Hare Personal Injury Solicitors has been helping whiplash injury victims for over 50 years. We are here to offer you easy-to-understand legal advice in a friendly and professional manner. Let us show you why we’re the best rated personal injury law firm in Northern Ireland on Trustpilot.
If you have any questions about whiplash or this practical guide to whiplash claims, feel free to reach out to our whiplash injury solicitors and find out how we can help.