8 Step Guide for Making an Injury Claim
1. Choose a firm of Solicitors
Choose a solicitor with a reputation for getting the job done professionally and with haste. Look at independent reviews and read case studies so that you can make an informed decision on information you can trust. Here is a few reasons why Paschal O'Hare Solicitors is at the top of our field.
- We recover our costs from the defending party meaning our clients keep 100% of their compensation. Our initial consultations are free too.
- We're a one-stop-shop. We can cover all of our client's needs following an accident, from medical treatment and replacement vehicles to recovering loss of earnings and compensation money.
- We have more independently verfied reviews & testimonials than any other law firm in Northern Ireland and most of them are published on Trustpilot. We're even in their Top 10 in the whole of the UK. Have a look.
- We proudly publish some details of our work when greatful clients let us tell their real-life stories. You can read them here.
- We've earned a reputation in Northern Ireland of doing whatever it takes to get our clients access to justice. We're almost 50 years old and our Founder was affectionately known as "The People's Solicitor".
Our solicitors will ascertain how to progress a case by asking questions and assessing the answers. We avoid complex legal jargon and attempt to make it as easy as possible. Our qualified solicitors treat this as a fact finding mission and may ask questions such as:
- When did the accident occur?
- Where and how the accident happened?
- Was there witnesses and are they contactable?
- Describe the injuries and any treatment received.
We then explain all available options and the best way to progress. Our solicitors never pressure the enquirer to progress with a claim if they do not want to and offer time to consider it if they require. All of our enquiries are free, without obligation and strictly confidential.
The enquirer has a 3 year time period following an accident to intitiate a claim. However, if the person enquiring does so on behalf of a child, the 3 year window begins upon that child's 18th birthday.
If there is a case, the client's new solicitor will summarise the details of the claim and send initial documentation out by post, email or through our mobile app. The documents have some paperwork that require a signature and to be returned to us. These can be posted to us with a stamped addressed envelope that we provide or, the paperwork can be signed with your finger through our app instantly!
4. Letter of Claim
We then send a letter to the person or people that the client holds responsible (defendant) outlining the details of the accident, the extent of any injuries and our intent to seek compensation on behalf of our client.
We then wait for acknowledgment of the letter which must come within 21 days. The defendant then has 3 months to investigate from the date of the claim letter and attempt to build a defence. Don't worry though, if it comes to it, we aren't afraid of a legal battle.
5. Medical Examination
Our client will likely undergo a short examination from an independent medical specialist. This will provide evidence as to the extent of the injuries and give us an idea how much compensation is deserved. If the client is happy with the details of the medical report then it's approved.
When the defendant replies, they will indicate whether they accept or deny liability for the injury. If they accept liability, then we will try our best to settle the matter out of court for a level of compensation that the client is happy with. We tap into our vast experience to advise the client what a fair amount looks like. This is the outcome in the vast majority of the cases that we handle.
If, on the other hand, the defendant does not admit liability or the client is not satisfied with the compensation amount offered then the claim can go to court. Sometimes, if a defendant is being unreasonable, we may even suggest this option. We will have prepared the case in detail and have drawn upon our decades of experience to win the case and get the deserved compensation.
Finally, the client receives the compensation. They may also receive recovered financial losses such as loss of earnings and vehicle damage. The defendant will also cover the costs of our legal fees allowing our client to enjoy 100% of their compensation.